Friday 25 April 2014

Published Writers: How Did They Do It???


Featured Writer: 

Maya Angelou

Born Marguerite Ann Johnson April 4, 1928 in St. Louis, Missouri, is an American poet, memoirist, actress and an important figure in the American Civil Rights Movement. In 2001 she was named one of the 30 most powerful women in America by Ladies Home Journal.

 

Best Known Works: 

Maya Angelou is known for her series of six autobiographies, starting with I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, (1969 which was nominated for a National Book Award and called her magnum opus. Her volume of poetry, Just Give Me a Cool Drink of Water 'Fore I Die (1971) was nominated for the Pulitzer Prize.

 

Versatile Talents/Themes/Innovative Approach: 

She has made a deliberate attempt to challenge the common structure of the autobiography by critiquing, changing, and expanding the genre. Her books center on themes such as racism, identity, family, and travel. Angelou is best known for her autobiographies, but she is also an established poet, although her poems have received mixed reviews.

A poet, memoirist, actress and an important figure in the American Civil Rights Movement. In 2001 she was named one of the 30 most powerful women in America by Ladies Home Journal.

She has published three books of essays, and is credited with a list of plays, movies, and television shows spanning more than fifty years.  Despite almost no experience, she wrote, produced, and narrated “Blacks, Blues, Black!” a ten-part series of documentaries about the connection between blues music and black American’s African heritage and what Angelou called the “Africanisms still current in the U.S. for National Educational Television, the precursor of PBS.

 

Inspiration Behind First Autobiography:

 In 1968, at a dinner party she attended with writer James Baldwin, she was challenged and inspired by cartoonist Jules Feiffer, and his wife Judy, and Random House editor, Robert Loomis to write her life story.  I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, published in 1969, brought her international recognition and acclaim.

 

Ms. Angelou’s quote on writing: 

There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.

 

Interview with George Plimpton:

Q:  You once told me that you write lying on a made-up bed with a bottle of sherry a dictionary, Roget’s Thesaurus, yellow pads, an ashtray and a Bible.  What’s the function of the Bible?

A:  The language of all the interpretations, the translations, of the Judaic Bible and the Christian Bible is musical, just wonderful.  I read the Bible to myself; I’ll take any translation, any edition, and read it aloud, just to hear the language, hear the rhythm, and remind myself how beautiful English is.  Though I do manage to mumble around in about seven or eight languages, English remains the most beautiful of languages.  It will do anything. 

 

On Writing Process:

‘I write in the morning and then go home about midday and take a shower, because writing is very hard work, so you have to do a double ablution.  Then I go out and shop – I’m a serious cook – and pretend to be normal.  And I go home.  I prepare dinner for myself, I do the candles and the pretty music and all that.  Then after all the dishes are moved away I read what I wrote that morning.  And more often than not if I’ve done nine pages I may be able to save two and a half or three.

 

 

Dominant Themes for each Book:

‘I try to remember times in my life, incidents in which there was the dominating theme of cruelty, or kindness, or generosity, or envy, or happiness … perhaps four incidents in the period I’m going to write about.  Then I select the one that lends itself best to my device and that I can write as drama without falling into melodrama. 

   

How Much Polish??

Dominant Themes for each Book:

‘I try to remember times in my life, incidents in which there was the dominating theme of cruelty, or kindness, or generosity, or envy, or happiness … perhaps four incidents in the period I’m going to write about.  Then I select the one that lends itself best to my device and that I can write as drama without falling into melodrama. 

‘I must have such control of my tools, of words, that I can make this sentence leap off the page.  I have to have my writing so polished that it doesn’t look polished at all.  I want a reader, especially an editor, to be a half-hour into my book before he realizes it’s reading he’ doing.’

Comments:

Maya is an astounding poet, writer, activist, and on, and on, and on.  If any of you have enjoyed reading this small snippet about this remarkable woman, I recommend you do further research.  It will be worth it.

 

Keep on writing…..

No comments:

Post a Comment