Wednesday 5 October 2011

Sweat, Blood, and Tears

I'm on the brink of starting my third WIP and once again, I'm being sabotaged by those nasties pop up from the dark, hidden until I'm ready to write, recess of my mind - not again, who do you think you are? - didn't you learn anything from your last two failures - go back to being an obsessive reader and leave writing alone - where is your sense of dignity? - masochist!-  and so on, and so on, and scooby, dooby do!

Never mind the support I have received from readers of my manuscripts, the enjoyment my kids took in the short stories I wrote for them when I could squeeze out time from a packed, working full time for a living schedule.  And the newsletters I wrote for various organizations I belonged to over the years and reaching way back, the scary stories I would tell my friends in the middle of the night, the prize I won for the best essay on returning to school.  In fact, I was so thrilled I still remember the title - Come September

No, I can't take any encouragement or confidence from what happened in the past, doesn't work, not a bit.  And I can take any encouragement or confidence from the present, doesn't work, not a bit, and the future, well now that is a differerent kettle of fish!  It's filled with images of my name on the NY Times best sellers list, a legion of adoring fans, and last but not least, money enough to pay the bills and keep writing. 

So fellow writers, what do you do to get beyond these horrid nasties to write what you know is going to be the 'I can't put it down, didn't want it to end' book.

1 comment:

  1. Ahh, the obsessive reader debate... I'm going through that right now. Reading in the name of research! lol. I hope I can someday find the key to "not putting it down" kind of book.

    ReplyDelete